Here are several resources seniors living in the Houston area should know
HOUSTON – The following is a collection of resources specific to the Houston area as well as more general information for seniors living in Texas.
Agencies, Departments, and Centers for Seniors in Houston
1. The Harris County Agency on Aging: A government office within the Houston Department of Health responsible for gathering and providing resources for older adults in Houston.
· Caregiver support
· Health promotion programs: including but not limited to dental, vision, hearing and prescriptions.
· Referral of information and help
Intervention services: programs for positive aging
· Nutrition programs: Group meals in community centers and for the elderly. Hot meals are offered weekly, and delivery and transportation are available.
Address: 8000 N Stadium Drive, Houston, TX 77054
E-mail: [email protected]
2. The Living Legacy Center: Their mission is to facilitate the ability of seniors, veterans, and populations with special needs to find educational, financial, and legal resources. They offer:
· Housing and palliative care options, from assisted living facilities to independent residences.
Outings and activities through the Tomball Community Center
Secure your legacy health insurance and funeral pre-planning
Meals on Wheels for Northwest Houston and Montgomery County
Transport for Harris and Montgomery counties
Various support groups
o Silverado Senior Living Cypresswood located at Cypresswood Dr. Houston, TX 77070 focuses on dementia and Parkinson’s disease. They meet on the third Wednesday of each month at 6 p.m. Contact Melissa Cruz at 281-955-080010225.
o Cypress Methodist Church meets on the fourth Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m., except November and December when it meets the third week. Located at Cypress N. Houston, Cypress, TX 77429, RM W201 (Wesley Building). Call Lee Icenhower at 281-469-073013403 for more information
o The Foundry Church Caregiver Connection group provides support for caregivers. They meet the first Monday of each month from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Parlor at the Jones Road Foundry Campus located at 8350 Jones Rd, Houston, Texas 77065
Call: (832) 316-1505
3. Wesley Community Center: “Seniors enjoy recreation, field trips, daily hot meals (breakfast and lunch), social events, art classes, physical fitness, special education seminars /health and general fraternity. Wesley promotes the financial, physical and emotional health of their clients and enables them to maintain their independence.
A Senior Life Program Manager is available to help seniors find and benefit from resources. They provide transportation for attendees located within five minutes of Wesley. Food assistance is also available for customers in need.
Interested seniors must be at least 60 years of age, complete an application upon registration, and all customers must reapply in October.
Address: 1410 Lee Street, Houston, TX 77009
Call: (713) 223-8131
4. Harris County Aging and Disability Resource Center: A convenient and reliable resource used to locate private and public services for seniors and people with disabilities. Their website has resources such as caregiving, long-term care, housing, mental health, special programs and services, health insurance, and other information links and directories.
Address: 4802 Lockwood Drive Houston, TX 77026
5. Texas Department of Health and Human Services: “provides a range of services to older Texans to help ensure their well-being, dignity, and choice. Programs are also in place to support family caregivers. They have search tools to find local aging agencies and provide additional information on Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, and the Texas SNAP benefits program. They also have adult drop-in services.
Home health and personal care services
1. Senior helpers
2. Visit the Angels
3. Always the best care
4. BrightStar Interview
5. Senior Care Search Engine
Social Security Administration Information Texas Department of Adult Protective Services Seniors Referral Directory New Lifestyles Guide to Senior Living and Care Alzheimer’s Association American Association of Retired Persons – Houston
Resource Guide for Seniors in Houston
Copyright 2022 by KPRC Click2Houston – All Rights Reserved.